Microdermabrasion is one of those cosmetic procedures that most people have heard of, but don’t really know much about. Even if your skin-obsessed friend swears by it, or you’ve seen it listed on spa menus, the procedure is still one of those best discussed with a dermatologist. Microdermabrasion machines can buff and polish the skin using a stream of fine crystals or a diamond tip. Some systems have suction to vacuum loose skin cells from the face. You can also purchase microdermabrasion kits to give yourself an at home microdermabrasion facial. And for something more gentle, you can use microdermabrasion cloths.
Is microdermabrasion safe?
Yes. As with all treatments that penetrate the skin or disrupt the skin’s surface, the safest procedure will be carried out by a professional. In fact, many people choose microdermabrasion over chemical peels and laser treatment because it is generally safer and more cost-effective.
Does microdermabrasion work?
Depending on how many treatments you have, you’ll notice a change in the clarity, elasticity and texture of your skin. Most dermatologists recommend around every four weeks. And the best results are usually seen by people in the early stages of ageing, between 35 and 50.
Microdermabrasion is a form of deep exfoliation which propels microcrystals across the skin to remove dead skin cells and improve the texture and smoothness of the skin, as well as promoting the production of fresh collagen and cells.
As well as simply creating a youthful glow, it can be used to treat a wide range of skin problems including wrinkles, fine lines, sun damage, flaking skin, enlarged pores, acne scars, pigmentation, dry skin, age spots, stretch marks and more.
A microdermabrasion facial has many benefits, and you will be able to take advantage of all of these when you visit one of skin’s clinics.
• No Preparation Needed – Because it can be used directly on skin without any preparation, it is a very convenient treatment which you can enjoy whenever it suits your schedule
• Instant Results – As soon as you walk out of the clinic you will already be able to notice the difference in your skin. It is fast acting and you will not have to wait days before you see the difference
• Comfortable and Painless – Some skin treatments may lead to mild discomfort, but a microdermabrasion facial is completely painless so it is suitable for everyone
• Suitable for All Skin Types – One of the great things about microdermabrasion is that it can be used on any skin type so you know that it is suitable for you
• Improves Absorption of High-Tech Skincare Products – If you use high-tech products to make your skin look and feel better, a microdermabrasion facial allows these to be absorbed into the skin better so that you get more out of them
Microdermabrasion stimulates blood flow, which increases the nutrition delivered to skin cells. This improves cell production, which improves skin’s elasticity and texture. So, if you have acne scarring, microdermabrasion may help reduce the appearance of acne scars. However, it’s not recommended if you have skin conditions such as rosacea, eczema, dermatitis, active sunburn, herpes, lupus, open sores, psoriasis, fragile capillaries or widespread acne. This can irritate the skin and cause further breakouts.
Microdermabrasion is often called a “lunch hour” treatment because it’s a quick procedure that can be performed at a doctor’s office during your lunch hour with little or no discomfort. The treated skin may be pink after the treatment, but this will usually fade within a few hours. You can apply makeup soon after undergoing microdermabrasion to conceal any visible signs of the treatment. Microdermabrasion recovery and results are among the most favorable of all the noninvasive facial treatments available today.
Normal side effects associated with microdermabrasion are increased skin sensitivity and risk of sunburn. However, these side effects are usually mild and brief. Microdermabrasion risks are minimal, but problems such as infection can occur if the treatment is not properly performed.